This assessment gives operators the basic principles of Lift Trucks enabling them to realise the possible hazards due to location, surface conditions, instability, the machine in use, the loads moved, and take the necessary safety precautions and gives experience in difficult working situations.
To successfully pass the assessment the operator must be able to:
- Identify the basic construction and components, and the purpose and use of all controls and gauges.
- Identify and comply with manufacturer’s instructions in accordance with the operator’s handbook, i.e. Rating Plates etc.
- Explain all relevant documentation.
- Carry out all pre-use and running checks.
- Configure the Forklift for site and road travel.
- Travel over different types of terrain, including rough undulating ground and substantial inclines, both with and without a load.
- Manoeuvre in confined areas.
- Setup the Forklift in order to lift various loads.
- Ensure load integrity and security.
- Transport loads.
- Lift various loads within the full working range of the forklift.
- Place and retrieve loads accurately at various places.
- Place and retrieve loads from a vehicle bed or trailer.
- Keep within safe working parameters.
- Place the Forklift in an out-of service condition.
- Explain the loading and unloading procedure on and off a transporter.