The object of surface dressing is to create a stable mosaic of chippings securely attached to the road surface.
This is achieved by spraying the correct amount of bitumen onto the road surface followed by the appropriate amount of the correct size of chippings according to the softness of the road surface.
To successfully pass the assessment the operator must be able to:
- Understand the need for and economics of surface dressing
- Understand the selection and preparation for roads
- Select types of dressings and contracts for its execution
- Appreciate the use of aggregates for surface dressing
- Signing at sites
- Understand road note 39
- EU specifications & the procurement of surface dressing
- Failures – causes and possible treatments
- Surface dressing binders